Questions to ask funeral directors.
Care of the person who has died
- How and where will the person’s body be cared for?
- If I want embalming, how much does it cost?
- Are there additional costs for delaying the date of the funeral?
- How much does it cost for a viewing of the person who has died? Are there extra costs per visit?
Prices and financial support
- Do you need any money in advance of the funeral and, if so, how much?
- Are you happy to work with people who are awaiting a Social Fund Funeral Expenses Payment / Funeral Support Payment decision?
- Can I have a written breakdown of costs before making any decisions?
- What is included in the cost of a simple funeral?
- Do you offer flexible payment options and, if so, what are the terms?
- I don’t want to have a service before the burial/cremation - do you offer direct burials/cremations?
- Is the funeral director able to lead the service, and how much would it cost?
- Is it possible to have a more affordable crematorium slot, e.g. in the early morning?
- What are the most affordable options for a burial plot, e.g. shared or woodland burial?
- Are there more affordable options than the hearse for transporting the body?
- Can I provide my own coffin?
There is more information on things to consider when choosing a funeral director on https://www.funeraladvice.org/choosing-a-funeral-director/
Do you have two minutes to help us improve this service? Please complete this short survey.