Become a volunteer van driver for Turn a Corner, QSA's new mobile library for people affected by homelessness in London.
What is this role about?
Turn a Corner is a mobile library offering books and conversation to increase wellbeing for people affected by homelessness. Turn a Corner also acts as a place to listen directly to people who are experiencing homelessness about what their current needs are and pilot creative responses. This is in line with our mission, enabling people to seek solutions to the issues affecting their lives.
- Contact: Sam Cook
- Telephone: 07824038807
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
What does this volunteer role involve?
- Driving the mobile library to various London locations
- Conversations with people with experience of homelessness
- Basic signposting to other services
- Handing out essential items such as coats in the winter, period packs and donated essentials
- Helping people to choose books
- Basic admin, such as checking in and out books
- Willingness to notice gaps in provision for our readers; in library services and more widely
- Willingness follow all protocol regarding covid-19
- Be part of a shift rota
- Willingness to learn and attend training
- Willingness to engage with volunteer support, including providing peer support.
- Following QSA policies
- Able to work independently and take initiative when required.
When can I volunteer?
We ask volunteers to do one or two shifts per month.
Will you pay my expenses?
Yes, we will pay for your travel within London zones 1-6 and we will pay £6 for a meal on the day you volunteer.
What experience do I need?
You need to hold a full UK Driving license (category B). Experienced drivers preferred.
What personal qualities do I need?
People who do well in this role:
- are friendly and enjoy talking to people face to face
- show understanding, discretion and empathy to our visitors
- show initiative rather than wait for instructions
- can co-operate with other volunteers and have a positive outlook
- can be relied on to attend regularly, on time
- are interested in books
What will I gain from this role?
- Being part of a friendly community of volunteers
- Providing and receiving mutual support
- Helping to develop this new project
- Interesting conversations with the library’s visitors
You will also gain transferable skills including:
Van driving experience
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Admin skills
- Research skills
- A first aid qualification
- After three months' volunteering we will supply you with a reference.
How to apply
To apply, please get in touch with Sam Cook: email@example.com