Did you know?
- Cremation is often more affordable and accounts for 77% of all funerals. In 2019 on average a cremation cost around £1,000 less than a burial, but the difference can be even greater, depending on your location.
- Prices can vary widely across different crematoria.
- Many crematoriums have ‘off-peak’ prices that are less expensive e.g. 9am or 9.30am, or sometimes late afternoon.
- Be aware that some crematoriums have to charge a medical referee fee and/or an environmental fee, but may list these separately to the main fee.
- Weekends tend to be a lot more expensive.
- Time allocations for the service can also vary with slots varying from 20mins to 1 hour.
- Ask your funeral director for information about all crematoriums in your area – some may only mention one, even if there are different options.
- Consider whether an ‘off-peak’ service might work for you.
- Ask if an ‘off-peak’ service is available at your local crematorium(s) or take a look online. Some may not advertise them clearly so you may need to call up.
- Check whether medical referee or environmental fees need to be added on.
- If you are not using a funeral director – contact your council or do an online search.
Do you have one minute to help us improve this service? Please tell us what you think.