The Fair Funeral Pledge is a free and voluntary committment:
- To recognise that funerals can be expensive and many people struggle with the cost.
- To help people to find funerals that are within their means.
- To be open about their most affordable options, including third party costs:
- in initial conversations
- within their price lists
- on their website.
Since launching the pledge in June 2015 the Fair Funerals Campaign has seen 35% of the UK's funeral directors sign up.
A Fair Funeral Pledge signatory at work
The Fair Funerals campaign recognises that many funeral directors work to ensure their customers have access to clear and affordable options.
When 1 in 8 people will struggle with funeral costs, it's important that all funeral directors recognise the part they play in defeating funeral poverty by offering transparent and honest prices.
Being chosen as funeral director of the month gives us a great sense of achievement,
knowing that we have been recognised for helping to make funerals more affordable and straightforward for the public.
Chris Sample, Your Choice Funerals
Next step for the campaign: 50% of funeral directors signed up?
The Fair Funerals campaign has now set its sights on reaching even more funeral directors.
They're encouraging the public to help people in their local area find a funeral they can afford. People can do this by
- talking to their local funeral director to advertise the pledge.
- asking their funeral director to sign up to the pledge.
When more funeral directors sign up, the greater transparency there is for customers across the whole industry.