Volunteer: funeral costs helpline
Volunteer with Down to Earth, QSA’s funeral costs helpline for people on low incomes who are struggling with funeral costs.
What is this role about?
Down to Earth is a helpline offering practical support to people on low incomes who are struggling with funeral costs. Our team offer practical support to help keep funeral costs down and raise money towards them.
- Contact: Sophie Clarke
- Location: Quaker Social Action, 17 Old Ford Road, Bethnal Green, E2 9PJ
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: 07765 297 515 (please leave a voicemail if your call is not answered)
What does this volunteer role involve?
- Conversations with people who are recently bereaved or planning ahead
- Collecting personal information from helpline callers and recording on a database
- Basic signposting to other services
- Being part of a shift rota
- Willingness to learn and attend training
- Following QSA policies
- Able to work independently and take initiative when required
When can I volunteer?
- We ask volunteers to do 3 hours on one day per week
Will you pay my expenses?
- Yes, we will pay for reasonable out of pocket expenses including a DBS check, travel to the office and up to £6 meal allowance on the day(s) you volunteer.
What experience do I need?
- Telephone and interpersonal skills
- Reading & writing
- Good IT skills
- Ability to take accurate notes and record on a database (training provided)
What personal qualities do I need?
- Show understanding, discretion and empathy to our clients
- Good communication
- Can be relied upon to attend shifts regularly and on time
What will I gain from this role?
- Being part of a team of volunteers
- Playing an integral part in supporting people who are struggling with funeral costs
You will also gain transferable skills including:
- Admin skills
- Written and verbal communication skills
- You will be working in a professional and friendly environment alongside a team of caseworkers. You’ll be part of a pioneering service which, in addition to providing one-to-one support to clients struggling with funeral costs, also campaigns for change in the funeral industry, local and national government policy.
- You’ll be part of a team of volunteers, with optional peer support via a WhatsApp group monitored by the service co-manager.
- Volunteer team gatherings, with light refreshments, will take place bi-monthly as an opportunity to build relationships with other volunteers and the Down to Earth team, as well as address any learning needs across the team.
- Monthly supervision meetings will be arranged to ensure volunteer wellbeing.
- After three months volunteering, we will provide you with a reference.
How to apply
To apply, please get in touch with Sophie Clarke, Down to Earth’s Co-manager – Direct support lead on 07765 297 515 or e-mail email@example.com
The closing date for applications for the role is 9am Monday 9th October. Informal interviews will take place on Thursday 12th October, either in person or online.
Training will take place in person from 12 noon until 3.30pm on Tuesday 24th October, which will include lunch and an opportunity to meet the Down to Earth caseworkers.
We would like our new volunteers to start with us during the weeks beginning 30th October and 6th November.